Careers at RealVNC®
Have a question?
Software Test Engineer
Help shape amazing remote access applications for a wide range of desktop and server-class platforms.
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
Our products allow people to remotely access computers simply and securely, and we're looking for testers with desktop application experience to help test them. As well as testing our flagship VNC Enterprise product line, you’ll also get a chance to contribute to bespoke customer projects, work with embedded on-chip remote access technologies, and test the SDKs which allow other developers to embed VNC technology into their own applications.
We like to think we have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We value the input of everyone working on the project, and talented individuals can make a big difference. In exchange we expect you to be highly motivated, willing to explore novel solutions, and able to make a significant contribution to our products.
- are passionate about testing and the role it plays in producing great software
- have experience of testing commercial desktop application software
- are familiar with operating systems other than Windows, e.g. Mac OS X, Linux, or other UNIX
- are confident with manual testing techniques, including exploratory testing
- have written automated tests before, and know (or are happy to pick up) Python
- have a passion for technology and the ability to pick things up quickly
- are able to communicate technical ideas clearly, with excellent written and spoken English
- have a good degree (or other relevant qualification)
As well as the above, if you have any of the following then we’d like to know about it!
- The ability to demonstrate good automated test development practices, including knowing when test automation isn’t appropriate
- An understanding of the networking technologies that underpin the internet (e.g. IP addresses, DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, etc.)
- Experience with UI and usability testing
This role offers a unique opportunity to join our Engineering team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work / life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday – Friday), although flexibility may sometimes be required.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details. Make sure you quote the reference TE30 in your covering letter to help get it to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
We will not consider agency applications for this post.
Please complete the following information to proceed with your application.
Fields marked with a * are required