Technical and Marketing Content Writer
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a technical and marketing content writer to join our successful and expanding team
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide, from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
We’re looking for an exceptional writer, able and willing to turn their hand to all types of technical and commercial content, for multiple audiences.
You’ll learn to understand who our audiences are – what they’re trying to achieve, how much they already know, what their pain points are, who else they’re listening to – and be able to turn your empathy into constructive advice and educational insights.
You’ll spend approximately half your time writing technical guides and manuals – using, testing and evaluating our products, feeding back to the development teams on issues of design and usability, and writing task-oriented, problem-solving documentation that’s effective and elegant and concise.
You’ll spend the other half creating material to support our Marketing team – blog content, ebooks, educational white papers, news articles, infographics and similar. This content is designed to stimulate conversations and create engagement with targeted audiences as part of Marketing’s content-driven lead generation campaigns and activities.
But it’s not just the written word – we create videos and animations, so you’ll get involved with storyboarding and voiceovers. We train existing and induct new members of staff, so you’ll get to stand up and inspire your colleagues. And we attend trade shows and events all over the world, so there’s potential to meet customers and demonstrate our software and services in the flesh.
- It’s best if you have formal work experience as either a Technical Author or as a Marketing Content Writer – we can help you develop the necessary skills for the other. Of course, if you’ve worked as both, that’s great.
- We are willing to consider a new graduate (from any discipline) if you can demonstrate both exceptional writing ability and impress us with your aptitude to learn.
- You must be a fluent English speaker, with impeccable grammar and spelling, an acute eye for detail, and able to communicate complicated issues and concepts clearly, in a consistent tone of voice.
- You’ll need to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple projects at the same time.
- You must be a great team player, fantastic at cultivating relationships with colleagues so as to elicit the information you’ll need, and seek advice and feedback. You must be willing to learn about new products and markets, and not be afraid of a critical review!
- You must be a competent user of Windows computers and Microsoft Office products. If you’re a Microsoft Word expert, and know how to get round it’s quirks as a desktop publishing tool, even better.
- You must be passionate about technology. If you’ve never run Linux commands or booted up a Raspberry Pi, you’ll need to prove you’re keen and quick to learn.
- We’ll need to see samples from your writing portfolio. Please point to an online resource in your CV, or attach PDFs when you submit your CV and covering letter.
As well as the above, if you have any of the desired experience below then we’d like to know about it!
- Blogging, social media and video production experience.
- Knowledge of any of the following: Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi, Acrobat, Photoshop, HTML, CSS, virtual machines, SDKs and API documentation.
This role offers a unique opportunity to join our Content Design team, working for a stable and successful Cambridge-based company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work/life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday); we also promote flexi-time, with agreed core hours.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details. Make sure you quote the reference TMCW1 in your covering letter to help get it to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
We will not consider agency applications for this post.