Senior Software Engineer (Viewers)
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join our team improving our remote access products for Enterprise, Professional and Home users.
You’ll be involved in all aspects of development, creating elegant designs, effective code and secure solutions that solve real customer problems. As a senior software engineer you’ll be working on more open-ended or ambitious projects, expected to deliver high-quality solutions that demonstrate a good understanding of business goals and priorities. As part of a cross-platform and increasingly squad-based engineering group you’ll be sharing your wider or deeper experience with others in the team and will be expected to take on leading or coordinating roles for specific features or areas of innovation.
In the Viewers team, you’ll be working on the latest client technology, taking advantage of new OS features and building on our core technology. Our software supports Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi and more. The Viewers team focuses on the development of our mobile applications written in Java/Kotlin and Objective-C/Swift, as well as development of our desktop applications written in C++. Both applications use technology in a wide range of areas, including video and audio capture and encoding, efficient networking and protocol design, and deep integration with the OS across multiple platforms. Part of the role will also include writing automated tests for all platforms in Python.
We have a friendly atmosphere and are looking for creative, flexible and collaborative approaches. We value the input of everyone working on our projects, and talented individuals can make a big difference. In exchange, we expect you to be highly motivated, willing to explore novel solutions, and able to make a valuable contribution to our products.
- are passionate about technology, product and user experience
- have a track-record of solving the problems of more open-ended or ambiguous projects, with excellent attention to detail
- can demonstrate your understanding of how your engineering work affects commercial outcomes, and can ideally provide examples of past projects where your work has directly impacted business growth
- should be fluent in the use of Java or Kotlin to develop Android applications
- should be fluent in the use of Objective-C or Swift to develop iOS applications
- have commercial development experience of at least 4 years
- understand how business goals and priorities influence your work
- have a desire to improve user experience, continue learning about technology, and share your knowledge with others
- have experience of agile working practices and appreciate that testing and quality are shared team responsibilities
- have some experience taking a leading or coordinating role for specific features or areas
- demonstrate a clear understanding of networking technologies and security principles
- have excellent relevant oral and written communication skills
- have a relevant technical degree (or equivalent qualification)
Other skills we’re looking for;
- object-oriented design skills
- experience in cross-platform application development
- experience with any of the following is a bonus:
- familiarity with modern graphics display pipelines
- the latest generation of video and audio codecs
Reporting to the Lead Software Engineer (Viewers), this role offers a unique opportunity to join our Engineering Team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work / life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday – Friday), although flexibility may sometimes be required.
How to apply
If you’d like to join RealVNC as a Senior Software Engineer, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details.
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Staffing and Recruitment Agencies
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our website is only intended for individuals and preferred suppliers of RealVNC. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency that is not a preferred supplier are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or CVs, or to forward CVs directly to employees or any other company location, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited.
RealVNC does not accept unsolicited CVs or applications from agencies other than preferred suppliers. RealVNC is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs or applications and explicitly reserve its right to contact candidates presented in such unsolicited CV or application.