Software Test Engineer (Temporary Vacancy)
We’re looking for a temporary software test engineer to test our Mobile and Automotive remote access software.
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote-access technology, our software and cloud services are used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide ranging from hoe to enterprise environments. RealVNC customers can be found in many industries and include leading companies such as IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks, Philips, Volkswagen and Huawei. Our software is already in use in over 15m vehicles, 50 models from 15 of the largest major global automotive OEMs.
Our VNC Automotive software allows people to remotely access mobile devices from an automotive infotainment system. You’ll test the interoperability of our remote access software with smartphone devices and automotive systems from other vendors, including checking for compliancy against a third-party specification. The software runs on desktop and embedded devices and on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Windows, Android and iOS.
Your focus will be on manual testing with opportunities to develop automation test skills. You’ll be part of a small team of testers, reporting to the Lead Software Test Engineer. We think the work is interesting and challenging as you’ll be working on innovative technology. In exchange, you would have an excellent opportunity to gain experience with a wide range of operating systems and technologies in the Mobile, Automotive and Embedded space.
- You have experience with or a passion for testing, mobile devices and connected car technology
- You have the ability to communicate technically complex ideas in excellent written and spoken English
- You enjoy problem solving and have excellent attention to detail
- You’re highly motivated and able to work independently or as part of a wider team
- You’re able to assimilate new technologies quickly and enjoy finding out how technology works
- You have experience of Linux and Windows desktop operating systems.
As well as the above, if you have experience with any of the following technologies then we’d like to know about it!
- You’ve had some experience with testing / development of commercial and embedded software for mobile devices or automotive platforms
- You’ve had some experience with scripting or programming languages, such as Python or C++.
- You’ve worked on projects which have had to be compliant with third party specifications
- You have a general understanding of the technologies that underpin the internet, and how they work
This is a unique opportunity to develop your skills and experience whilst working with a successful global brand on an exciting and challenging project. The successful candidates must be available to work at our Cambridge head office on a full-time basis, starting as soon as possible, for an initial period of 3 months, with potential for extension extend.
This is a temporary position working 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday) and will be paid at £12-15 per hour dependent on experience.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details. Make sure you quote the reference STET1 in your covering letter to help get it to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
We will not consider agency applications for this post.