Principal Software Engineer (Cloud)
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks, and Philips.
We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our Cloud team improving our remote access products.
Reporting to the Lead Software Engineer for the Cloud team you will be working on some of the most open-ended or long-term problems, with latest web technology, developing the scalable applications, services, and APIs that power the VNC Connect service. You’ll be getting involved in all levels of the technology stack and evolving the platform by integrating new connectivity options and enabling future product enhancements. You’ll be expected to deliver well-considered designs, architecture, and code that not only has team buy-in but can deal with evolving business priorities.
We have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and value a continual approach to learning with allocated time for all engineers to improve their skills. We seek to empower everyone through cross-functional collaborative working and believe creative, inquisitive people can make a big difference in impressing our customers.
- have a relevant technical degree, equivalent qualification or equivalent industry experience
- have extensive experience of springboot applications
- are comfortable with many aspects of the spring ecosystems, including;
- Rest Controllers
- JPA Repositories and Entities
- Using queues (either MQ, Kafka, SQS, or any other similar)
- SQL databases (writing Queries, Stored procedures, Hibernate, etc)
- Testing (using Junit, Mockito or similar mocking framework)
- have experience of, or a willingness to learn, Go
- are good at identifying and solving problems
- have a thirst to learn and evolve your skills as technology changes
- are able to clearly communicate your ideas in oral and written communication
As well as the above, if you have any of the desired experience below then we’d like to know about it!
- Experience using a commercial cloud provider
- Have Linux admin experience
- Experience using Terraform and/or Docker
- Familiar with, and have experience of, coding in Python
Reporting to the Lead Software Engineer for the Cloud team, this role offers a unique opportunity to join our Engineering Team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work / life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday – Friday), although flexibility may sometimes be required.
How to apply
If you’d like to join RealVNC as a Principal Software Engineer, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details.
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview, you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Staffing and Recruitment Agencies
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our website is only intended for individuals and preferred suppliers of RealVNC. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency that is not a preferred supplier are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or CVs, or to forward CVs directly to employees or any other company location, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited.
RealVNC does not accept unsolicited CVs or applications from agencies other than preferred suppliers. RealVNC is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs or applications and explicitly reserve its right to contact candidates presented in such unsolicited CV or application.