Build the next generation of VNC® remote connectivity technology.
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
We’re looking for an experienced C++ developer to help write software that lets people interact with their remote computers simply and securely. You’ll be joining our Server team, responsible for the core VNC remote access technology. The team covers a wide range of areas, including video and audio capture and encoding, efficient networking and protocol design, and deep integration with the OS across a range of different desktop and mobile platforms.
You’d be involved in all aspects of development, creating elegant designs and effective code that solves real customer problems, and innovating new technologies and approaches to remote interaction. Being part of a cross-platform team means there’s plenty of opportunity to get involved with technologies that are new to you, or you can become an expert in a particular area if that’s your preference. Either way, there’s always something new to learn.
We have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and are looking for creative, flexible and collaborative approaches. We value the input of everyone working on our projects, and talented individuals can make a big difference. In exchange we expect you to be highly motivated, willing to explore novel solutions, and able to make a valuable contribution to our products.
- have strong C++ development experience and object-oriented design skills
- are experienced in cross-platform application development (e.g. at least two of Windows, macOS, and Linux/UNIX)
- have strong problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail
- are passionate about producing high quality, secure software that solves real-world problems
- have commercial experience of the full software lifecycle
- have excellent oral and written communication skills
- have a good computer science or similar relevant degree (or equivalent qualification / experience)
As well as the above, if you have any of the desired experience below then we’d like to know about it!
- Other languages like Objective-C, Java or Python
- Previous experience of network programming or protocol design
- Familiarity with modern graphics display pipelines
- Interaction with cloud-based services and APIs
- The latest generation of video and audio codecs
- UI design for a great user experience
- Any other emerging or buzzword-compliant technology!
This role offers a unique opportunity to join our Engineering team working for a stable and successful Cambridge-based company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work/life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday); we also promote flexi-time, with agreed core hours.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details. Make sure you quote the reference C1 in your covering letter to help get it to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
We will not consider agency applications for this post.