An exciting opportunity has arisen for a marketing and technical content writer to join our successful team.
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide, from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
We’re looking for an exceptional writer, able and willing to turn their hand to all types of commercial and technical content, for multiple audiences.
You’ll learn to understand who our audiences are – what they’re trying to achieve, how much they already know, what their pain points are, who else they’re listening to – and be able to turn your empathy into constructive advice and educational insights.
You’ll spend 70% of your time creating material to support our Marketing team – blog content, ebooks, educational white papers, news articles, infographics and similar. This content is designed to stimulate conversations and create engagement with targeted audiences as part of Marketing’s content-driven lead generation campaigns and activities.
You’ll spend the remaining 30% of your time writing technical guides and manuals – using, testing and evaluating our products, feeding back to the development teams on issues of design and usability, and writing task-oriented, problem-solving documentation that’s effective, elegant and concise.
But it’s not just the written word – we create videos and animations, so you’ll get involved with storyboarding and voiceovers. We train existing and induct new members of staff, so you’ll get to stand up and inspire your colleagues. We also attend trade shows and events all over the world, so there’s potential to meet customers and demonstrate our software and services in the flesh.
- have formal work experience as a Marketing Content Writer or Technical Author – we can help you develop the necessary skills for the other. Of course, if you’ve worked as both, that’s great.
- are a fluent English speaker, with impeccable grammar and spelling, an acute eye for detail, and able to communicate complicated issues and concepts clearly, in a consistent tone of voice.
- are able to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple projects at the same time.
- are a great team player, fantastic at cultivating relationships with colleagues so as to elicit the information you’ll need, and seek advice and feedback.
- are willing to learn about new products and markets and are not afraid of a critical review.
- are comfortable using a Content Management System (CMS) to add/edit we pages.
- are a competent user of Windows computers and Microsoft Office products. If you’re a Microsoft Word expert, and know how to get round it’s quirks as a desktop publishing tool, even better.
- are passionate about technology. If you’ve never run Linux commands or booted up a Raspberry Pi, you’ll need to prove you’re keen and quick to learn.
As well as the above, if you have any of the desired experience below then we’d like to know about it!
- Blogging, social media and video production experience.
- Knowledge of any of the following: Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi, Acrobat, Photoshop, HTML, CSS, virtual machines, SDKs and API documentation.
We’ll need to see samples from your writing portfolio. Please point to an online resource in your CV, or attach PDFs when you submit your CV and covering letter.
We are willing to consider a new graduate (from any discipline) if you can demonstrate both exceptional writing ability and impress us with your aptitude to learn.
This role offers a unique opportunity to join our Marketing Operations team, working for a stable and successful Cambridge-based company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work/life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday); we also promote flexi-time, with agreed core hours.
How to apply
If you’d like to join RealVNC as our Copy/Technical Writer, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details.
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Staffing and Recruitment Agencies
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our website is only intended for individuals and preferred suppliers of RealVNC. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency that is not a preferred supplier are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or CVs, or to forward CVs directly to employees or any other company location, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited.
RealVNC does not accept unsolicited CVs or applications from agencies other than preferred suppliers. RealVNC is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs or applications and explicitly reserve its right to contact candidates presented in such unsolicited CV or application.