Senior Software Engineer (Server Team)
We’re looking for a talented software test engineer for our VNC Connect product.
RealVNC® is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join our team improving our remote access products for Enterprise, Professional and Home users.
You’d be involved in all aspects of development, creating elegant designs, effective code and secure solutions that solve real customer problems. As a senior software engineer you’ll be working on more open-ended or ambitious projects, expected to deliver high-quality solutions that demonstrate a good understanding of business goals and priorities. As part of a cross-platform and increasingly squad-based engineering group you’ll be sharing your wider or deeper experience with others in the team and will be expected to take on leading or coordinating roles for specific features or areas of innovation.
In both our Server teams, you’ll be working on the latest client technology, taking advantage of new OS features and building on our core C++ technology. Our software supports Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi and more. Historically our Viewers team has focused more on mobile applications and works in Java/Kotlin and Objective-C/Swift; whereas our Server team has driven lower-level C++ development in a wide range of areas, including video and audio capture and encoding, efficient networking and protocol design, and deep integration with the OS across multiple platforms. As market demands and our roadmap changes, both sets of skills are increasingly likely to be used in either team.
We have a friendly atmosphere and are looking for creative, flexible and collaborative approaches. We value the input of everyone working on our projects, and talented individuals can make a big difference. In exchange, we expect you to be highly motivated, willing to explore novel solutions, and able to make a valuable contribution to our products.
- are passionate about technology, product and user experience
- have a track-record of solving the problems of more open-ended or ambiguous projects, with excellent attention to detail
- understand how business goals and priorities influence your work
- have a desire to improve user experience, continue learning about technology, and share your knowledge with others
- have experience of agile working practices and appreciate that testing and quality are shared team responsibilities
- have some experience taking a leading or coordinating role for specific features or areas
- have excellent relevant oral and written communication skills
- demonstrate a clear understanding of networking technologies and security principles
- have a relevant technical degree (or equivalent qualification) or equivalent
For the Server team
- have strong C++ development experience and object-oriented design skills
- are experienced in cross-platform application development (e.g. at least two of Windows, macOS, and Linux/UNIX)
- experience with any of the following is a bonus:
- Familiarity with modern graphics display pipelines
- The latest generation of video and audio codecs
This role offers a unique opportunity to join our Engineering team working for a stable and successful Cambridge-based company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, and private dental and medical care.
This is a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work/life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday); we also promote flexi-time, with agreed core hours.
How to apply
If you’d like to join RealVNC as a Senior Software Engineer, please click on the ‘apply for this job’ button and fill in your details.
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Staffing and Recruitment Agencies
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our website is only intended for individuals and preferred suppliers of RealVNC. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency that is not a preferred supplier are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or CVs, or to forward CVs directly to employees or any other company location, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited.
RealVNC does not accept unsolicited CVs or applications from agencies other than preferred suppliers. RealVNC is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs or applications and explicitly reserve its right to contact candidates presented in such unsolicited CV or application.