Java Backend Developer
Help design and build the next generation of our VNC Cloud connectivity platform
RealVNC is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) City Centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote-access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Philips.
As a member of the Platforms team you will be working on the Java (J2SE) based services that power the VNC Cloud platform, the cloud-based remote access technology that enables screen sharing without port-forwarding. The technology is deeply embedded into the VNC Connect and VNC Developer SDK products. You’ll be getting involved in all levels of the technology stack and evolve the platform by integrating new connectivity options to bring future product enhancements.
The platform comprises core connectivity services, as well as customer and product specific services. Hosted in RealVNC’s globally distributed infrastructure, it is designed to be highly available and scalable. In the platforms team we use Linux, the Spring framework and the Cassandra NoSQL database as part of our stack. You’ll be joining a team with a security focused mindset to help design and architect the next phase of these large-scale distributed systems.
- Have strong Java (J2SE) development skills
- Understand the architectural needs of complex large-scale systems
- Have strong understanding of the network stack and how the technologies that underpin the internet work
- Are experienced with asynchronous / event-driven programming models and know how to make appropriate use of concurrency primitives
- Know the characteristics of production quality code and strive to achieve them
- Have strong problem-solving skills and pay great attention to detail
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have a good technical degree (or equivalent qualification / experience)
This role offers a unique opportunity to join our engineering team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
How to apply
If you want more information, or want to apply for this vacancy, send us a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you quote reference JBD2 to help it get to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.