Ubuntu with Xvnc to :1 with no window manager at :0

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:34:32 BST 2012

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Long, Phillip GOSS wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to boot Ubuntu, not load an X window manager and still
>> run Xvnc on :1 for remote access?
>>
>> If I'm actually sitting at the machine, I have to load a window manager
>> to be able to see vncviewer, I assume?
>>
>> Is that how it works?
>>
>> What I've been doing is using IceWM in Xvnc and exclusively accessing
>> the system through that, but I have Gnome running all the time on :0,
>> mostly doing nothing but taking up space.
>

> Mike:
>
> I use Gnome, not Xvnc, on my desktop, and I'm by no means an expert, but
> my understanding is that Xvnc is an X server, and in general, U should
> only have one of those running.  My guess is that Xvnc is your X server,
> and U're running IceWM as your window manager on :1.  Probably, the X
> startup/login script (~/.xinitrc?) is launching Gnome (on the first
> available screen, perhaps?), and U need to remove or comment out those
> commands to conserve resources. U would also be able to run IceWM on :0
> instead of :1.

Thanks, Phillip.  On my system, it seems that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc calls
/etc/X11/Xsession and there is no ~/.xinitrc file.

Suppose I make it so that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc doesn't start X11.  I
guess I would then see a console window after booting.  Can I just run
vncserver :1, say, from there, then run vncviewer from that console?  It
just seems like that would fail because I don't have a graphical
interface.  How can vncviewer run without a DISPLAY?

By the way, I have been running Xvnc on :1 for years without any failures
(that's RealVNC Free).  It ran once for something like 500 days on
Solaris.  It's really the same on Ubuntu -- no failures -- but I happen to
have the machine in a place where the power sometimes goes out and that
has limited me to only about 200 days of uninterrupted uptime.

Mike