help VNC free Edition 4.1

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at
Wed Oct 12 20:28:13 BST 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Yang, Yihong wrote:

> Out situation is that the people in lab will create several sessions on
> the server, and they will use viewer to access their own sessions. Once
> we create the sessions on the server, the server will give you a number
> based on the order of the creation, right? So the server will give you
> session 1, session 2 and so on.
> The problem is that if we create two sessions on the server, there is no
> problem for us to use viewer to access those two sessions. But if we
> create more than three sessions, only the first and the second sessions
> can be accessed by using viewer.
> I don't know how to fix it. Do you know how to fix this?

It might be because some ports are occupied by other processes.  I had
this problem once with ssh port forwarding using port 6010, and this made
it so that vnc on :10, which uses port 5910 and 6010, would not work.

Have you used netstat to see which ports are being used by other services
on the server?  I would look into that.

Have you tried adding some sessions with higher port numbers?  That is,
don't just except the default :1, :2, :3, etc, but specify :51, :74, or

Another question:  Whos sessions are these?  Are they all created by the
same user?  Some window managers, such as Gnome, will not reliably allow
more than one VNC session.

mailing list