help VNC free Edition 4.1

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at
Wed Oct 12 19:31:11 BST 2011

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Yang, Yihong wrote:

> We are currently using VNC free Edition 4.1 server in our Linux machine.
> But the problem is that we can open several sessions on the Linux
> server. However, only 2 computers can access the server by using VNC
> viewer for No.1 and No.2 session. I have no idea why this happens. And
> what we want is to have more than 2 computers to access the server. We
> have no idea how to fix this problem.

Do you mean that you cannot open multiple viewers to the same session?  It
might be because one or more of them is not accessing the session as
"shared".  From the vncviewer man page:

          When you make a connection to a VNC server, all other existing
          connections are normally closed.  This option requests that they
          be left open, allowing you to share the desktop with someone
          already using it.

The same thing applies to viewers on other platforms -- they all have the
shared option.  Whenever someone accesses the session as non-shared, they
kill all other existing connections.

mailing list