VNC over SSH

John Serink John_Serink at Trimble.com
Sat Feb 27 13:22:57 GMT 2010

On the mac, once ssh is up and before you connect with vnc, open up a console and use netstat to view waiting tcp services....do you see you local tunnelled tcp port waiting on 127.0.0.1?

Cheers,
John

----- Original Message -----
From: vnc-list-bounces at realvnc.com <vnc-list-bounces at realvnc.com>
To: vnc-list at realvnc.com <vnc-list at realvnc.com>
Sent: Sat Feb 27 05:28:53 2010
Subject: VNC over SSH

Hello there,

I've got a question about connecting to my VNC server over SSH from a
Macintosh.

I've got my VNC server running on a CEntOS 5.4 box.  If I just enter the
IP address & firewall port (i.e. 10.16.0.136:7) I can connect fine using
Real VNC's "VNC Viewer Enterprise Edition" version E4.5.2 client
software from my Mac (OS X 10.5.8), or using the "VNC Viewer Free
Edition" version 4.1.2 on my PC (XP).

However, problems arise when I try to initiate a connection over SSH
(i.e. 10.16.0.136 localhost:7).  On the PC, it seems to work fine
-- although, is there a way to verify that the connection is indeed over
SSH?  The connection info panel doesn't seem to indicate either way.

On the Mac, when I try to connect over SSH, I get this error:

"getaddrinfo: nodename nor servname provided, or not known (8)"

A Google search turned up articles pointing to Apple's implementation of
OpenSSL.  I was just curious if anyone else had this same problem.

Thanks,

-Byron

Byron Veale
Webmaster