hanging after Gnome logout (fwd)

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:49:04 BST 2009

Apparently this problem was caused by Gnome crashing the X server,
probably because I did many updates without restarting Gnome.  Just
thought I'd share this little conversation with myself in case someone
else has to deal with it someday (it didn't get to the list earlier
because the list's server was down).  --Mike