Alternatives To VNC... (Backup Remote Access)

Long, Phillip GOSS Phillip.Long at gossinternational.com
Tue May 12 15:42:53 BST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-bounces at realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-bounces at realvnc.com]
On Behalf Of Peter Bunn
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:18 AM
To: VNC Mailing List
Subject: Alternatives To VNC... (Backup Remote Access)

Hello:

 [snip]

Can anyone suggest an alternate, secure, reliable remote connection
method?

 [snip]

Though my Dad has broadband, I'm still on dialup, with few other options

at present.  VNC works quite acceptably with dialup (slow, but
survivable), and I'd like to find something else that was usable over
dialup (PCNow is slow as death).

Suggestions?

 [snip]

Peter B.

-----

Peter:

In my line of work, I often need to dial up to view the desktop of
remote machines (WinNT to WinXPe) on our equipment.  We use both VNC
and pcAnywhere, but I actually prefer to use TELNET, because it's text-
based and uses about 0.1% of the bandwidth used by desktop viewers.
That said, more often than not, I still need to see the desktop, as do
U when U or your Dad want to see what the other sees.  U have to pay
for pcAnywhere, but I think it's worth it as a backup method.

Phil

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.