Dbag suggestion

John Aldrich JAldrich "at" covista.com
Wed Nov 30 20:37:01 2005

Yes, that information should be in the manual... there is typically a small
button that you'd have to use a pen, pencil, paper clip, etc to push as it's
somewhat recessed to avoid accidentally resetting the modem. :-) You'll also
need to know whatever login information you need for logging the router onto
the cable/dsl network. I strongly urge you to get all that information
together *before* you reset it to the factory defaults. Also, it would be
good to know if your PCs are set up using DHCP to automatically get an IP
address, gateway, etc or if that's hard-coded. If it's hard-coded, you'll
need to know that information. You'll probably also need to know the DNS
servers, etc for putting that information back into the router.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shobuz99 [mailto:shobuz99 "at" yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:13 PM
To: John Aldrich; vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: RE: Dbag suggestion

Well, I don't have an IT dept.. Actually, I guess I
would be the IT dept <smile>, because I'm the
webmaster for the web site of this non-profit
organization. There are just two computers here in the
office and they were setup and connected to the router
about 3 or 4 years ago. Nothing was written down that
I know of, as far as pw or id. I hope the person that
I contact (who setup the router) can remember what
they did!
If I wanted to reset the router (linksys BEFSR81), as
you suggest, would that procedure be in the router
manual?
I have the manual.
Would I need to setup the 2 computers all over again,
from scratch?
I don't have any other ideas..
Thanks for your replies and help
shobuz99