Windows VNC viewer and local application hot keys

Matt Campbell mattcampbell "at" pobox.com
Mon Nov 28 22:48:00 2005

Hello all,

I noticed that in VNC 4.1.1, the Windows viewer has the option to
disable special Windows keys while in the viewer's main window.  These
keys include the Windows key, Alt+[Shift+]Tab, and a few others.  But
this option doesn't cover any application-defined shortcut keys which
may exist on the client machine.  For example, suppose that on both the
client and server machines, Control+Alt+F starts an application.  If I
press Control+Alt+F while in the viewer, I want that keystroke to go to
the server.

I see that a low-level keyboard hook is used to disable special Windows
keys.  I wonder why the hook procedure only sends certain keystrokes
directly to the viewer's desktop window, instead of sending them all.
I'm guessing there's a reason, but if only certain keystrokes are
filtered, then I don't know of a way to make sure that all
application-defined global hot keys are sent to the server.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt