Linksys

Dbag kingdbag "at" comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 20:00:01 2005

Shobuz99 wrote:

>Mike,
>Once again, I appear to have never had to update or
>even see the settings to the Linksys router that I
>wanted to forward an IP address from; so that I could
>connect through thr router using VNC.
>Basically, I don't know where to look on the office
>machine
>that is connected to the router.
>What is the folder or the file that I update for the
>linkys router settings? I've searched several files in
>the Control Panel. Sorry for the naively novice
>questions.
>

>>-- Mike Miller <mbmiller "at" taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
>>

>>We have similar backgrounds:  I also have used VNC
>>since 1998 (Solaris,
>>mostly), and I also had some problems figuring this
>>out.  The answer is
>>that you tell the router to forward traffic for port
>>5900 (and for port
>>5800 if you want to be able to use the http java
>>applet) to your local IP
>>which is 192.168.100.1.  The IP 24.64.22.39 is
>>really the IP of the
>>router.  So, once configured correctly, when the
>>router sees
>>24.64.22.39:5900, it will send that to
>>192.168.100.1:5900, and you're in!
>>
>>If you need to have more than one VNC computer
>>running behind the router,
>>you have to use different VNC ports for the
>>different machines.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>
>>Mike

>>>On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Shobuz99 wrote:
>>>
>>>Although not a total newbie to VNC (used since
>>>

>>1998); I am new to
>>

>>>connecting to a VNC server through a router and am
>>>

>>not quite sure I
>>

>>>understand the process.
>>>
>>>For example, I run VNC (3.3.7) server on my office
>>>

>>machine, that is
>>

>>>connected to a router. The IP address says
>>>

>>192.168.100.1 (fictional)
>>

>>>when I pass the mouse over the VNC icon. I use
>>>

>>whatismyip.com on the
>>

>>>server and it tells me the IP is 24.64.22.39
>>>

>>(fictional) When I go home
>>

>>>at night, and try to connect through my browser
>>>

>>and using either IP
>>

>>>address and port 5800 or 5900, it will not
>>>

>>connect. It times out.
>>

>>>After reading several posts I believe I understand
>>>

>>that I need to
>>

>>>'foreward' an IP address in the linksys router ap
>>>

>>that is running on my
>>

>>>office machine..correct? If so, which IP do I
>>>

>>forward? The 192.168.100.1
>>

>>>or the 24.64.22.39?

You can get to the router config page by using your web browser. Since
you probably have never gone to it before put http://192.168.1.1 in the
browser and hit enter it will then ask you for a user name and password,
leave the user name blank and just put admin in as password. This should
get you into the router config main page. I have never installed any of
the software that comes with cable modems or routers for home use so im
not sure if there is another way to get to the configuration page other
then pointing a web browser at the routers IP. Once you are in the
config page go to applications and gaming and you should be on the port
forwarding page.. GOOD LUCK =)