Connect through a linksys router

Shobuz99 shobuz99 "at" yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 16:18:01 2005

Hello,
Although not a total newbie to VNC (used since 1998);
I am new to connecting to a VNC server through a
router
and am not quite sure I understand the process.

For example, I run VNC (3.3.7) server  on my office
machine,
that is connected to a router. The IP address says
192.168.100.1 (fictional)
when I pass the mouse over the VNC icon.
I use whatismyip.com on the server and it tells me the
IP is 24.64.22.39 (fictional)
When I go home at night, and try to connect through my
browser and using
either IP address and port 5800 or 5900, it will not
connect. It times out.

After reading several posts I believe I understand
that I need to 'foreward'
an IP address in the linksys router ap that is running
on my office machine..correct?
If so, which IP do I forward? The 192.168.100.1 or the
24.64.22.39?

Both machines are windows based (XP Pro and XP Home)
Both machines use cable modems and the addresses are
not really static,
but pretty much stay the same until I decide to
'refersh' the modem manually.
I subscribe to VNC digests and read them every day.
Thank you for the help
Shobuz

http://mail.yahoo.com