XP connect problem, through internet only.

Joe Ackert joedshadow "at" yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 18:03:01 2005

  I'm running into a very unusual problem here and I'm hoping someone may have a solution.

  My setup:
  I'm running 2 computers, one with WinXP Pro and one with Win2K.  They both have the vncserver running.  WinXP is configured with port 5900 and Win2K is configured with 8080.

  Internally each machine can connect to the other with no problem whatsoever.

  I have a DSL internet connection with a Linksys WRT54G v5 router.  Latest firmware.  In the port forwarding I have port 5900 forwarded to 192.168.1.10 (the XP box) and 8080 forwarded to 192.168.1.11 (the 2K box.)  When I connect to these machines from the internet, the 2K machine connects fine but I get the "unable to connect to host: Connection times out (10060)" error message.

  Once I am connected to the 2K machine I can then connect to the XP machine (internally over my LAN) and it works fine, so I know the XP server is running.

  I have swapped the ports used on each machine and redirected the port forwarding in the router, but it made no difference.

  It seems that something on my XP box is blocking the communication, but only from the internet, not from the local LAN.  The XP firewall is disabled and I am not running any 3rd party firewall that could be stopping this.

  I also checked www.gotomyvnc.com and all ports indicating not responding.

  Any help would be appriciated,
  Joe