VPN and VNC Again

Ramsdell, Amy aramsdel "at" bnl.gov
Fri Nov 18 16:36:00 2005

Hi John,
I get a connection timeout error when I type in the IP address in the VNC viewer.  I never get the password prompt.  The work PC is Windows 2000 Professional and the home PC is XP.  What firewall are you talking about?  I have a VPN connection which gets me through the firewall I thought.  Once I am the VPN connection in I can use Remote Desktop application to get from my home XP to 2 Windows 2000 servers (one in the internal network and one in the network DMZ).  So it would seem that I could also use the VNC viewer.  I have Zone alarm, I think, at home.  I had turned it off at one point and tried the connection but still got the connection timeout.

One weird thing is I can type in the machine name in the VNC Viewer (minus the true domain) and get a different error message.  For instance, name.domain.gov gets an error about being in a database but not being able to resolve or something (I can copy out the error next time I log on if that will help) but if I type in the workstation's true domain name, Ex name.subdomain.domain.gov I get the connection timeout.

What I can't understand is if it is a VPN issue, why would I be able to ping the workstation just fine? How can I test if somehow that port 5900 is blocked even when I am in the VPN?

(Yes, that was a mistake, sorry James! I thought I had resent it to the list after I realized what I did)

Thanks!
Amy

-----Original Message-----
From: John Aldrich [mailto:JAldrich "at" covista.com]
Sent: Fri 11/18/2005 10:06 AM
To: Ramsdell, Amy; vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: RE: VPN and VNC Again

	Amy:
	There seem to be a lot of problems with VPN. A bit more info would really
	help us diagnose your problem and get you up and running. First, what do you
	mean by "I can't get it working"? Do you get a password prompt, followed by
	an all-black screen and then a disconnect? If so, that's a fairly common
	problem, and will require a bit of technical "know-how" to fix. Do you just
	not even get a password prompt? What operating systems are we talking about
	here? Is your workstation at the office Windows XP, and do you have the
	firewall enabled?

	Please get back to us with more details. Just remember, that this is
	primarily a user-to-user support, even though James Weatherall from RealVNC
	hangs out in this group...
	        John