VPN and VNC Again

John Aldrich JAldrich "at" covista.com
Fri Nov 18 15:07:01 2005

Amy:
There seem to be a lot of problems with VPN. A bit more info would really
help us diagnose your problem and get you up and running. First, what do you
mean by "I can't get it working"? Do you get a password prompt, followed by
an all-black screen and then a disconnect? If so, that's a fairly common
problem, and will require a bit of technical "know-how" to fix. Do you just
not even get a password prompt? What operating systems are we talking about
here? Is your workstation at the office Windows XP, and do you have the
firewall enabled?

Please get back to us with more details. Just remember, that this is
primarily a user-to-user support, even though James Weatherall from RealVNC
hangs out in this group...
	John

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com]On
Behalf Of Ramsdell, Amy
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:19 PM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: VPN and VNC Again

Forgive if the answer to this question is in past lists.  I have been
searching and can't seem to find it.

	I am using Cisco's VPN Client 4.0.1 to access the lan at work.  I
can remote desktop into the servers that I need to get to once I have the
VPN connection.  My problem is I installed RealVNC server on my work pc
(Windows 2000) to try to access it from home using the VNCViewer and I can't
get it working.

	While I am tunneled in to the LAN I can ping my work pc, but I get a
connection timed out if I enter that same IP into the Viewer.  At work, to
test I tried to connect to my work pc from my work pc (the VNC server). I
can connect using both the Java Viewer and the VNC Viewer so I assume the
VNC server is configured correctly.

	From home thru the VPN to connect to any shared drives I always have
to log in with my network password.  I am wondering if this has something to
do with it.  Reading the lists, someone had mentioned after you make a
connection this way or in Outlook you should be able to use the VNC Viewer
but I still can't.

	Any advice for a non-techy?

	Thanks,
	Amy