Firewall Blocking Outbound From Server?

Hal Vaughan hal "at" thresholddigital.com
Wed Nov 16 17:05:01 2005

I have a client who cannot connect to me using RealVNC (both client & server
on Linux).  We've tried this from his office and his Father's office, nearby.
I'm running vncviewer:

vncviewer -listen

on my system, with my firewall set to forward port 5500 to my workstation, and
it forwards port 80 to port 5500 on my workstation as well (I leave these
ports closed unless I'm working with a client).  On his system he's run
vncserver and it is using display :1, so he uses this command line:

vncconfig -display :1 -connect myname.dyndns.org

When I do this from inside my LAN, specifically connecting to
myname.dyndns.org, so the connection is routed to my external IP and through
my firewall, it works fine.  When my friend does it, nothing happens and he
gets no connection.   I figured his firewall may be blocking outbound
connections, so I had him try:

vncconfig -display :1 -connect myname.dyndns.org:80

to send the connection through port 80.  If he tries to read a web page on my
address, I see it on my firewall, but when he tries this, I see nothing.

Is there any way to make the connection look like an HTTP connection (other
than using port 80)?

And, while I'm at it, instead of using an entire new post, I don't see
anything in vncconfig that shuts down a server.  I have to specifically kill
the server, then delete the lockfile.  Isn't there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Hal