UltraVNC, file transfer, encryption, and tray icon

Mike Miller mbmiller "at" taxa.epi.umn.edu
Tue Nov 15 19:20:03 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Steve Bostedor wrote:

> Take your pick between TightVNC(http://www.tightvnc.com) and UltraVNC
> (http://www.ultraVNC.com)
>
> They are both great VNC servers.  UltraVNC supports encryption while
> TightVNC doesn't, but other than that, I believe they're very
> comparable.

I'm trying to use UltraVNC right now.  I just installed it yesterday.
The "Enable File Transfer" option shown here...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/install/configuration.html

...and in my downloaded docs does not appear on my UltraVNC default
settings window (version 1.0.1) and file transfers are disallowed.  How do
I turn on file transfer?

To use encryption it looks like I need a DSM plugin (data stream
modification plugin), but I don't have any available and I don't see an
instruction on how to make one available.  (On installation, I chose to
install everything.)  I would have thought the default would be to use
some kind of encryption.

I expect to see an UltraVNC service icon in my system tray, but I don't
see one even though the service is running.

Am I missing something?  It seems like I am missing some key features (all
the ones that led me to UltraVNC instead of RealVNC) and I must have done
something wrong in installation/configuration, but I can't see what that
is.  I ran the Ultr "at" VNC 1.0.1 setup downloaded from this site:

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,

Mike