making connection despite cable modem and Linksys router

Mike Miller mbmiller "at" taxa.epi.umn.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:59:02 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, James Weatherall wrote:

> Have you configured your router to forward port 5800 to your VNC Server
> computer?
>
> Please note that port 5800 is normally used only to serve the Java VNC
> Viewer, and you'll need to additionally forward port 5900 in order to
> actually connect via VNC.
>
> Please see http://www.realvnc.com/portforward.html for further information.

Thanks.  My problem was that I had to enter the configuration setup at
http://192.168.1.1 and change settings under the Applications and Games
tab to allow 5800 and 5900.  My router was stuck somehow and wouldn't
allow an http connection for the reconfiguration until I reset the router
(hold in reset button on the back for 5+ seconds).  It's a LinkSys WRT54g.

Mike