Viewer not updating the display

Adnan Khan adnan938 "at" yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 04:05:01 2005

My laptop runs  vnc viewer ver 4.1.1
My desktop runs vnc server ver 4.1.1

Laptop  = Compaq Presario R3430US
              32-bit WinXP
              640MB RAM
              hardwire ethernet to Linksys router

Desktop = Dell Dimension 9100
              Pentium D (dual core)
              1.0GB RAM
              32-bit WinXP
              hardwire to Linksys wireless bridge
(WGA11B),
                 which connects to Linksys router

Router  = Linksys WRT54GS v2.2 with DD-WRT firmware.
              (non-Linksys firmware)

Desktop server's Capture method:
      Use hooks to track changes + Poll console
      Capture alpha-blended windows

Results of some testing which I have done so far:
1. hardwired desktop directly to the router (bypassed
       the wireless bridge).
       Result was positive!  Worked great with 4.1.1

2. re-connected the wireless bridge.
       Result was negative.  Same problem again.

3. Uninstalled vnc 4.1.1 from the laptop and installed
       vnc 3.3.7, keeping the wireless bridge on the
desktop.
       Result was positive!  The 3.3.7 viewer worked
       flawlessly with the 4.1.1 server.

Further description of the problem:
Initially, the desktop shows up and I can move the
mouse around no problem.  A few seconds after
selecting one of the desktop icons, the viewer stops
updating, but the mouse events still reach the server.
 10 or 15 seconds later, the viewer shows this
message:
read: Connection reset by peer (10054)
Do you wish to attempt to reconnect to 192.168.1.101?

-Adnan Khan

http://mail.yahoo.com