[VNC] RE: Screen artifacts...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley "at" pcraft.com
Mon Nov 14 20:14:01 2005

James Weatherall wrote:

>1.  Are you using VNC 4.1.1 and the vnc.so module to make your desktop
>accessible via VNC, or some other VNC-server implementation?

    On the FC4 machine:

# rpm -q --info vnc-server
Name        : vnc-server                        Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 4.1.1                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 10.1                              Build Date: Thu 04 Aug
2005 05:02:15 AM MDT
Install Date: Fri 11 Nov 2005 10:42:15 PM MST   Build Host:
decompose.build.redhat.com
Group       : User Interface/X                  Source RPM:
vnc-4.1.1-10.1.src.rpm
Size        : 2992572                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 11 Aug 2005 10:13:35 AM MDT, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.realvnc.com
Summary     : A VNC server.

>2.  Do you get the same artefacts if you use x0vncserver instead?

    If I use ... what?  Not sure I know what you're referring to there.

>3.  Which brand of graphics card are you using, and are you sure you have
>the latest XFree86/Xorg drivers for it?

    It's on-board video, based on the Intel i815 Chipset.  Whether I
actually have the latest drivers, I don't know.  This is a freshly
installed machine with all the updates applied.

    Not knowing what may be causing the artifacts, I didn't know where
to start looking and/or prodding.  However, FC4 also comes with Remote
Desktop buildin, which as I understood it, is not vnc, but it based on
Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If I use that with vnc-viewer, everything
works fine.  No artifacts.  But the moment I use vnc-server, I get those
artifacts.  I don't want to use the Remote Desktop feature because I
would need to be logged on to the server for it to work, whereas with
VNC, I just tell X to load the vnc module and I'm done.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley "at" pcraft.com>   .   303.442.6410 x130