Two network cards on XP with SP2

John Aldrich JAldrich "at" covista.com
Thu Nov 10 19:49:01 2005

Probably the latter....i.e. turn off Windoze Firewall *before* you remove
the machine from the domain.

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com]On
Behalf Of Geza Levai
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:33 PM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: RE: Two network cards on XP with SP2

At 03:32 AM 11/10/2005, you wrote:
>Geza,
>
>VNC Server will accept connections on all network interfaces, it doesn't
>pick one specific one to bind to.
>
>Regards,
>
>Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

Wez,

What happened, yesterday I removed this PC from a domain (remotely
using RealVNC) and at the same time I also changed the priority of
networks in "advanced network settings". After rebooting it I could
not log in the workstation with RealVNC.
(This was the time when I "cried out loud" for help assuming that the
priority change caused RealVNC not "riding the waves" of the NIC card
that it used to.)

So, I had get up from my fictitious "lazy boy" and actually walk to
the PC. THEN I noticed, that the window of "Windows Security
Settings" was up notifying what part of it was not working. I got
suspicious and opened the XP Firewall settings and realized that all
custom settings were gone.

Basically what I learned from this, that if you remove an XP/sp2
workstation from a domain, the XP firewall looses all custom
settings, so don't do this remotely with the Firewall on, unless either

a) you have somebody there to add ReaVNC to the firewall after
restarting the PC or
b) maybe (I have not tested it), you have to turn Windows firewall
off before you remove the PC from a domain REMOTELY.

Geza