I can connect

James Weatherall jnw "at" realvnc.com
Thu Nov 10 11:43:00 2005

Chris,

It sounds like the original viewer site you were connecting from has a
firewall for outgoing connections.  It may even be that they only support
HTTP(S) connections outgoing, and that they run a proxy for those - this
appears to be increasingly common.  If that's the case, then you'll need
something like GNU HTTPtunnel to make your VNC connection look like web
traffic back to your server computer...

Some other things to bear in mind:
- Having an un-firewalled Windows Me machine connected directly to the
Internet is a good way of ensuring that you always have the latest
viruses...
- Current VNC Free Edition releases do not encrypt session traffic - this is
available in VNC Personal & Enterprise Editions, or you can tunnel VNC Free
Edition sessions through something like SSH.
- HTTP tunnelling support is in development for VNC Enterprise/Personal
Edition (amongst other upcoming features).
- VNC Enterprise/Personal Edition can be made to use a single port to serve
both the Java VNC Viewer and for the VNC connections themselves, simplifying
firewall configuration.  This could be combined with the upcoming HTTP
tunnelling support to allow access to your home system from any Java-enabled
browser through any HTTP proxy/firewall (well, almost any).

Hope that helps,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.