Connecting on multiple displays, e.g. 0, 1, 2 (Windows)

John Aldrich JAldrich "at" covista.com
Tue Nov 8 21:44:00 2005

Not possible with Windows. Sorry. That's what "Terminal Server" is for.

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com]On
Behalf Of transparent
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 4:13 PM
To: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: Connecting on multiple displays, e.g. 0, 1, 2 (Windows)

Hi - I've searched the mailing list archives but I can't seem to find
a definitive answer to my question.

I currently have a RealVNC (4.1.1)  server running on a Windows 2000
box with ports 5900-5902 open, and I connect locally over a LAN.

What I can't figure out is if it's supposed to be possible to connect
to the three different displays (0,1,2 on ports 5900,5901,5902)
separately from either the same computer or different computers.

In other words, I'd like to open two desktops and be able to run
different apps on the same machine, but on the two different
desktops, so kind of like giving my Windows 2000 box two heads.

 From what I can understand, it's possible and easy to do this on
Unix - because that's how the window server stuff works.  How do you
do this on Windows?  When I try to connect using my VNC viewer, e.g.
to 192.168.1.25:5901, it says that the connection is refused.

I'm not looking to open multiple instances of the *same* desktop, but
different desktops, as if I was logged in as different users
simultaneously.

thanks for any thoughts!