Fedora Code 1 getting actual desktop to load

Dbag kingdbag "at" comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 06:15:01 2005

John Aldrich wrote:

>What distribution? Also, are you already logged in locally? If so, KDE and
>Gnome both have a problem with having the same user logged in twice... they
>just don't like that. That being said, in RedHat-based distributions
>(RedHat, Fedora, CentOS [I'd imagine]) there should be an executable file in
>the .vnc directory called "xstartup" which looks like this:
>#!/bin/sh
>
># Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
>exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
>If you don't have that, you'll likely have a problem similar to what you're
>describing...

John,

Thanks, I got it working yesterday. For some reason when I was starting
vncserver it wasn't creating the xstartup file. I finally got it to
create it and just had to change one line from twm & to gnome-session &
and it fired right up. I'll throw the cat in here just incase anyone
else is having a similar problem.

[dbag "at" ajco dbag]$ cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#twm &
gnome-session &

Thanks for the help!

Joe D