Request times out when using Java Web Connection from outside my LAN

John Aldrich JAldrich "at"
Thu Nov 3 21:20:03 2005

192.168.x.y is not a "routeable" IP address. That is a LAN-ONLY IP address.
Please visit somewhere like,, etc. and get your "real"
IP address from there. Also, you need to make sure you are allowing VNC to
pass through your router.
I recommend a good, thorough study of two sites:
The latter site will help you figure out how to allow VNC to pass the
firewall on your router and access your LAN. Also, you need to make sure
that winvnc4.exe is allowed to pass through your XP firewall, and it
wouldn't hurt to add port 5900 to your XP firewall as an exception as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at"]On
Behalf Of Matt Cassarino
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:18 PM
To: vnc-list "at"
Subject: Request times out when using Java Web Connection from outside
my LAN

I love this program! It works great, as long as I'm accessing my VNC server
from within my LAN. I cannot access my VNC server from a computer outside my
LAN. I've had friends try to access my VNC server via web browser and they
aren't able to bring up any webpage.

My IP address for the server is showing as<>,
however my IP is different than that? Is this due to my router? My Windows
XP Firewall? (as I've made it readily apparent, networking is not my

I send my friends to and they are not able to
connect. Yet, if I go to this same address from another computer on my LAN,
it brings up the Java app and password box. What gives?

Also, a friend of mine in California (I am in Washington) shows the same IP
address when he installed VNC server on his computer. So how is he supposed
to connect to mine? Ahh, this is all so confusing. Especially when it works
so well from within my LAN. We are both on Comcast...

Anyways, I hope you don't think I've not looked at the FAQ, forums, and
everywhere else -- I have. I just don't get it and so I decided to ask for
help, officially.

Matt Cassarino

Cell: (206) 484-4626
Web: <>