What on Earth is Session Zero?

John Aldrich JAldrich "at" covista.com
Wed Nov 2 15:13:01 2005

Not necessarily. Do you have the machines set up to receive IP addresses via
DHCP (automagically) or do you have the IP addresses hard-coded?
Even if you have them set up to receive an IP address automatically via
DHCP, there's no guarantee of which machine will get what address. That's
why it's a good idea to hard-code the IP address on the machine, especially
in cases like this where you want a specific machine to receive a connection
forwarded from the outside.

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com]On
Behalf Of Stephen
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 4:57 PM
To: William Hooper
Cc: vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: Re: What on Earth is Session Zero?

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Hooper" <whooper "at" freeshell.org>
To: <vnc-list "at" realvnc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:32 PM

> Please send replies to the list.

> >> What brand and model of router?
> > Netgear DG834GT
>
> Thanks.
>
> According to the Netgear manual, you should be creating new services to
> forward specific ports from the internet to your internal machine.  Take a
> look at about page 5-12 for more information.
>
> >> Without more information, I would say your problem is that you are
> >> trying to forward all the ports to two machines, so your router is
> >> ignoring the second machine.
> >
> > I wasn't aware of this. I run Windows Media Encoder on both machines
(not
> > at the same time). This includes Windows Media Server, and remote
> > connections from Windows Media Player are accepted by either machine.
The
> > router does not ignore the second machine in this case, nor for any
> > applications running on it, like Internet Explorer or Winamp.
>
> Internet Explorer and Winamp don't provide services to the Internet, so
> they wouldn't have an issue.
>
> > I will try swapping the ethernet cables on the router and see what
> > happens.
>
> The ethernet cables have nothing to do with this.  It is the order the
> firewall rules are applied.  Your existing rules appear to forward every
> port from the internet to your 192.168.0.2 machine.  This probably isn't
> desired.

But is it not the case that if I swap the ethernet plugs on the router then
my XP machine will become 192.168.0.2, and the ME machine will be
192.168.0.3 ?

That might be enough to get things going, until I can figure out how on
earth I'm supposed to know every single port that every other program might
need so that I can do selective port forwarding.

[snip]