VNC-List digest, Vol 1 #1553 - 12 msgs

"Dr.Alexander Röhlich" alex "at" roehlich.com
Wed Nov 2 07:39:01 2005

Where's the problem??
1. Router port forwarding works by using the set of rules. as soon as
one rule applies, all other rules are discarded. so all you are doing is
sending all your traffic to pc 192.168.0.2. The second rule is NEVER
going to be used.
2. NEVER leave your ports open !!! NO program needs an open port except:
programs which want to come in to your computer, i.e. VIRUSES, MALWARE
and other cr*p. Oh, and of course VNC. That's one of the reasons
antivirusprograms sometimes block it. All other programs which go out,
i.e. internet explorer, netscape, etc.., will automatically receive all
services which they have sent out for, so you do NOT need to open ports
for them.
3. If you want to use two computers with vnc, you will need to use
different ports, at least from the outside. If your router allows port
change, then forward port 5900 to 192.168.0.2:5900, and port 5901 to
192.168.0.3:5900. No need to change configuration of computers then. To
access: externalIPaddress:5900 for computer 192.168.0.2 and
externalIPaddress:5901 for computer 192.168.0.3.
4. Router: You will need to create a service called (for example)
VNC5900 and asign port 5900, do the same for VNC5901, i.e. asign port
5901. Then you can  use the diagramm below to allow inbound services. I
can not see whether you can actually asign a different port on the way
in, so you might have to change the port VNC is listening to on
192.168.0.3 to 5901 as well.

good luck.
alex