What on Earth is Session Zero?

John Aldrich JAldrich "at" covista.com
Tue Nov 1 21:25:01 2005

Yep. You got it... IP:0 is "session zero" ie. IP::5900. You don't have to
type IP:5900 as port 5900 is the default.

Single colon is the session # you're trying to access (primarily on *nix
machines, but if you're using a non-standard port, you can access it that
way.) DOUBLE-Colon, i.e. :: is used to tell VNC that the next number is a
PORT number.

As for the syntax :5920, yes, that's incorrect syntax. You're telling it to
use session 5-thousand-nine-hundred-twenty, which doesn't exist. You should
either drop the "59" part or use double-colon. That is, either type "IP:20"
or "IP::5920".

At least that's what I understand from hanging around on this list for the
past year or so. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen [mailto:stephen "at" sptv.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 4:14 PM
To: John Aldrich
Subject: Re: What on Earth is Session Zero?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Aldrich" <JAldrich "at" covista.com>
To: "'Stephen'" <stephen "at" sptv.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <vnc-list "at" realvnc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 8:59 PM

> That's the problem... you either need to do DOUBLE-colon 5920 or just :20
> (SINGLE-Colon)
>
> Best to do the DOUBLE-colon and the port number if you're using something
> other than the default, in my personal opinion. Give that a shot and see
if
> it works.

I will try this next time I get a chance. What's the difference between a
double colon and a single colon, and why does
ip address:5900 work on the ME PC with a single colon? Is ip address:0 what
is meant by "session zero"? Is ip address:20 session 20? Is ip address::5920
session 20? Is ip address:5920 incorrect syntax?