What on Earth is Session Zero?

Stephen stephen "at" sptv.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 19:43:00 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Aldrich" <JAldrich "at" covista.com>
To: "'Stephen'" <stephen "at" sptv.demon.co.uk>; <vnc-list "at" realvnc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 3:16 PM
Subject: RE: What on Earth is Session Zero?

> Stephen:
> Are you running any antivirus software, such as "Norton Internet
Security"?
> There is sufficient anecdotal evidence that some antivirus products
actively
> block VNC because they perceive it as "malware" due to the fact that it
> could be misused.

As far as I can tell there is no antivirus software running of any kind.

> The first thing I would try is to connect from your Windows ME box to your
> XP box and see if that works. If it doesn't, try the following:
> Start ->Run ->Telnet <ip.of.xp.box> 5900
> and see if you get an "RFB" prompt. If you don't, then your machine is not
> accepting connections. My XP Pro box appears to be having the same
problem,
> but I'm not blaming it on VNC, because it works fine on other XP boxes.

I can't do this at the moment, as it requires yet more favours from the
people at the other end (who I wouldn't have to bother at all if RealVNC
worked). I'll try this as soon as I can. I wonder why your XP box has a
problem with telnet. If it is the case that some versions of Windows XP
block all ports regardless even when all firewalls and security are turned
off, then we have a real problem. Perhaps I'll have to trash the remote PC
entirely and try to downgrade it to Windows 98 before Real VNC will work?