Solaris 2.6 and Enterprise VNC via inetd
matthew_klabnik "at" appsig.com
Thu Jul 7 13:53:01 2005
We have a working implementation of Enterprise VNC going on Solaris 2.6.
It took some messing with things that maybe shouldn't be messed with but
attached are the steps we took. Buyer beware as this may or not be too
wise and isn't a supported OS per RealVNC. We've had this going since
early April without incident. I have copies of the Xservers and
inetd.conf file elsewhere. If people need those I'll scrounge them up.
Procedures for Installing Enterprise VNC on Solaris 2.6
1. Obtain libcrypt_i.so.1 from Solaris 8 patch 116278-01. The file
will be located under the directory SUNWcs/reloc/usr/lib
2. Place this file in the /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib directories.
3. Obtain libgen.so.1 from the /usr/lib directory of a Solaris 8
4. Place this file in the /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib directories.
5. Install package SUNWski from Solaris 2.6 patch 105710-01.
6. Ensure that the following paths are set for root and the
/etc/dt/config/Xservers file: /usr/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/openwin/bin
7. As root run vnclicense -add (use license supplied with software)
8. With the user/group account that will be utilizing this
software, run vnckeygen . Do not run this as root unless root will be
the only user utilizing the VNC.
9. Consult the man pages on Xservers and Xvnc as well as the sample
Xservers file and inetd.conf file in order to configure Xvnc to startup
automatically upon bootup of the OS.