SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully.

Benjamin Jitima ben "at" foodfairmk.com
Thu Dec 15 13:40:02 2005

Hey everyone,

We found out last night that the location that we kept getting locked up had
their DOS app full screen.  When we took it out of full screen we no longer
had the problem.  So add that to the list of causes for the error
SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully.
Hopefully this may help someone else in the future.

Thanks,

Ben Jitima

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin "at" realvnc.com] On
Behalf Of Benjamin Jitima
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 1:40 PM
To: 'James Weatherall'; vnc-list "at" realvnc.com
Subject: RE: SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed
successfully.

We have the power saving turned off and the Console is automatically logged
in at session zero when the computer boots (through TweakUI).  I checked and
the RDP sessions that we log into begin at session 1.  As I was double
checking that just now to make sure I was telling you right, I noticed that
our app (DOS based) was showing up on the taskbar three times as minimized.
As soon as I click on one of them, the VNC session freezes and I closed it
and when I tried to go back in, it brought back that error.  I seem to be
able to bring it back by doing the following:

mstsc /v:ser1106 /console
(this takes over the console through RDP, which locks out the current
console user; something we are trying to avoid by using VNC)

Closing all of the open applications in RDP, and then logging off (which
doesn't seem to work everytime) or doing the tscon 0 /dest:console which
seems to work more often than just logging off.

When this happened just now on the server, I realized that when I had logged
in to the Windows XP computer earlier I seemed to have no problems until I
clicked on the DOS application at which point VNC froze there as well.  Do
you know of any issues in which 32-bit DOS applications cause some kind of
conflict with VNC?  We run the same applications (in house point of sale
management written in Foxpro 2.5) on all of our servers throughout the
company and we have never seen it causing a problem.

Thanks for the help,

Ben