TightVNC v Ultra VNC - Which is best?

Alex Pelts alexp "at" broadcom.com
Wed Aug 17 19:59:01 2005

I have tried several VNC variants and they all have some minor or not so
minor issues. Depending on your requirements "the best" could be different.

If you want the most seamless experience and work a lot remotely,
RealVNC is the best in my opinion. It handles keys in most intuitive way
and the screen updates, although slow, are always accurate. It probably
is not so good over slow connections but I have little experience with
slow connections. Unix variant in my opinion is perfect in all respects.

UltraVNC has the fastest screen update speed. It is very much comparable
with running XVnc on linux and windows remote desktop. The "ultra"
encoding does not work really well but other encodings are OK. It messes
up colors when palette is reduced to 256 colors and below. UltraVNC has
more features like file transfer and chat. Personally I do not use these
features. If you are securing your connection using ssh you probably
want to use other tools.

I have tried TightVnc before and on linux it was OK but on windows it
was pretty buggy. I need to get my work done so basically TightVnc was
dismissed. It may have improved since.

My current setup consists of UltraVNC server with mirror driver and
RealVNC viewer. Although colors are incorrect I like the responsiveness
of emacs. Even cursor blinking is transmitted. I like the ability of the
RealVNC client to transmit special keys like Alt+Tab and windows keys to
the server. UltraVNC sever passes keys correctly but viewer cant capture
them yet.

In the future, when mirror driver support will be available in the EE of
RealVNC it will by my pick but for now it is a combination of the two.

Thanks,
Alex