Native X Display (RealVNC 4.0b4)

Christopher Mc Carthy cmccarthy "at" gltrade.com
Wed Mar 31 10:14:09 2004

Hello,

I've been using flavours of VNC for a about a year now, mostly on Windows
but occasionally on Linux.  I recently installed RealVNC 4.0b4 onto my linux
box (Debian unstable/testing, 2.4.20 kernel & Xfree 4.3.0 IIRC, installed
using Knoppix):

1. downloaded vnc-4.0b4-x86_linux.tar.gz, unpacked, ran install script 2.
edited my XF86Config-4 file, adding a 'Load "vnc"' line to the Module
section (didn't add any options) [ IIRC the install script copies vnc.so to
the correct directory ]

I had a couple of problems at first (old version of VNC running - so I
removed that), missing shared libraries (solved by sym linking to a more
recent version).  Finally (after a couple of re-boots) I get to test out VNC
4.0b4.  I can create an instance of VNC, and connect to it fine.  However I
haven't had any luck in seeing the native X display (either on the linux box
itself or from a Win XP laptop) :(

christopher "at" roro:~$ vncviewer localhost:0

VNC viewer for X version 4.0b4 - built Sep  4 2003 13:31:22
Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Sat Mar 27 17:29:39 2004
CConn:       connected to host localhost port 5900
CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.7
CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.7

Sat Mar 27 17:29:51 2004
CConnection: Authentication failure
main:        Authentication failure
christopher "at" roro:~$ vncviewer localhost:0

VNC viewer for X version 4.0b4 - built Sep  4 2003 13:31:22
Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Sat Mar 27 17:33:46 2004
CConn:       connected to host localhost port 5900
CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.3
CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.3
main:        Too many security failures
christopher "at" roro:~$ vncviewer localhost:0

I have tried resetting the password (both as user and as root), but no go.
I don't recall changing any other config files.  I usually boot into run
level 2, then I do an 'init 5' where kdm (KDE display manager) does its
stuff.

How should I go about trying to get this working?  I've googled/tried the
archives but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any help

Chris
P.s. Please CC me in any replies as I subscribe to the digest...