need help with setup over internet

ich@gmx.org ich "at" gmx.org
Sat Mar 27 19:36:01 2004

hello vnc users,

this is the first time i write to this list and the first time i
have some trouble with getting vnc to work the way i want.

i have the following setup:

computer 1:
local ip: 10.0.0.5
connected to internet (dsl) over a router: 10.0.0.1
external ip is provided randomly
router and external dsl modem

computer 2:
local ip: 192.168.1.5
connected to internet (dsl) over a router: 192.168.1.5
external ip is provided randomly
dsl modem included in router

i want to connect from computer 1 to computer 2.
the first problem i have is getting the external ip of computer 2
everytime i want to try a connection.

i told my friend to use tracert www.something.com to find out his
external ip.

but instead of 192.168.1.1 as the first finding the result came up
with (i guess) an external ip adress of computer 2.

in my case (computer 1) it starts with 10.0.0.1.
i think that is because of the build in modem in case 2?

anyway is there an easier way of finding out someones external ip on
win2000 and winxp when the computer is not directly connected to the
internet(gateways ip)?

the second problem is that i cannot make a connection.
i start vncviewer and type in the external ip of computer 2.
but thats the routers ip and i want to connect to computer 2 which has
an internal ip (192.168.1.1)
how does vnc which computer in that other network is meant?

besides all firewall (router) configuration, how should this work
anyway?

if any more information is needed just tell me what else you need to
know!

thank you very much for help.

ciao

ronald