Problem connecting from WindowsXP to Suse Linux(sparc) + security question

Douglas Fisher fisher "at" willowglen.ca
Mon Mar 22 17:47:01 2004

First, it seems odd that you would have a box running Solaris but call the machine "linux"

Second: the most likely cause of your problem is that you did not succeed in starting vncserver. Check if the process Xvnc is
running:
ps -ef | grep vnc

If it is not running then check the log files.
They are usually in
~/.vnc/linux:1.log

My usual problem has to do with the permissions of the directories in /tmp.
ls -ld /tmp/.X11-*
In my system I have to
chmod 777 /tmp/.X11-*

However, a recent posting suggested that you change the permissions of Xvnc to have the sticky bit set similar to how Xsun is set
up.
This results in Xvnc running as the root user (even if vncserver is run as a different user).

I think that there are security issues with both of these solutions.
Can anyone explain what these security issues are?