ZlibHex unknown subencoding 113 encountered error?

James Weatherall jnw "at" realvnc.com
Mon Mar 22 17:19:01 2004

Brian,

The encoding numbers listed on the AT&T Labs' archive site are mostly
obsolete, but we have assumed their continued existence for compatibility
reasons in all subsequent VNC development.  In addition to these legacy
numbers and those used for standard VNC encodings (RRE, ZRLE, Hextile, etc),
we have allocated some encoding numbers to third-party developers -
TightVNC, for example, has such an encoding number.

As you might imagine, the standard VNC distribution will only ever send data
using the standard encodings, as described in the RFB protocol document
(http://www.realvnc.com/docs/rfbproto.pdf).  This is true both of the latest
release in the VNC 3.x series (http://www.realvnc.com/documentation.html)
and of the VNC 4 series (http://www.realvnc.com/v4).  In particular, they
will never send any data using encoding number 8, and so CotVNC must be
getting confused in order to produce the reported error message.

I must say, for my part I was surprised by your unfounded accusations of
innaccuracy, particularly given the extensive use you have made of VNC over
the years!

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.