Cannot connect to WInXP box with UltraVNC

Peter Coulter peter "at" coulter.ndo.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 21:11:01 2004

Further investigation showed I had all my firewalls (HW and SW) correctly
configured and it really was the work site proxy/firewalls that blocked
connection.

So I have followed the SSH/VNC route with success.

All of the following proved useful in this exercise:

VNC FAQ: http://faq.gotomyvnc.com/fom-serve/cache/1.html
Testing remote access to VNC: http://www.gotomyvnc.com/
Setting WinVNC up SSH: http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~luo/winvnc_ssh.html
How to install Open SSH http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

When installing Cygwin I encountered a difficulty that some others also had
on WinXP. A solution involving an edit to the Registry (three keys manually
copied from HKCU to HKLM) was suggested. See
http://archive.erdelynet.com/ssh-l/2003-05/msg00017.php. This was
implemented and worked just fine.

My router is configured to only port-forward port 22 (from external traffic)
to the required SSH server PC (externally sourced 5800 and 5900 traffic is
blocked, internal LAN traffic on these ports is not blocked). The NIS
software firewall running on that PC will only let incoming connections from
a legitimate sub-net. Then running PuTTy and UltraVNC I connected first
time! Good stuff!

Thanks for all help and suggestions received!

Peter Coulter