Problems installing on Windows and running as service

Eric Peil eric.peil "at" dataroad.com
Tue Mar 16 16:18:01 2004

I have installed TIghtVNC 1.2.9 on a Windows 2K server. The user is a domain user with administrator privileges on the local machine. I used the "Install VNC Service" program to install it as a service, I ran the "Run Server Helper" when the icon didn't show up in the service tray. When I attempt to connect via VNC from a remote PC I get "This server does not have a valid password enabled." If I run "Show Default Settings" I get "No existing instance of WinVNC could be contacted." I have verified that it is running as a service.

In addition I checked the registry and there is only information in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" for VNC and none in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

Rgds, Eric

Eric G. Peil
Sr. Consultant, DBA
Data Road, Inc.