Syntax error when starting VNCVIEWER ???

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw "at" openminddev.net
Tue Mar 9 12:25:01 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 11:31, paolo pabliso wrote:
> Rasjid , Thank you for your comment.
> I tried several different VNCviewers from different Linux sources.

Err.... mentioning which ones might help a little.  Where you got them from
and which version they are (including which architecture they were built
for).

> The error remains!
>
> it cant have anything to do with the way I call it? ie through telnet etc?
>
> thanx again. I guess I have to keep on trying - but as you said - no big
> hope....

It is somewhat unclear what you are trying to achieve here.

If you have an Windows XP machine near by, why are you trying to run the VNC
Viewer on the DreamBox?  Are you trying to display your XP desktop on the
Dreambox, or are you trying to run Linux programs on the DreamBox and display
their output on the XP Machine.  Or are you trying to something else
altogether?

Perhaps you really want to be running the VNC Server on the DreamBox, and the
VNC Client on the XP machine?   This at least I think has some chance of
working, since the VNC Server is a console application.

Regardless, you will still have to find a version of VNC that has been
compiled for the PowerPC chipset.  I think your best bet would be the port
from Debian for PowerPC.

To help out a bit, can you run other commands on the DreamBox?

In particular:
* What is the output of the 'uname -a' command?
* Does it have a /proc directory?  If so, what is the output of:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/version

If you have no idea how to get the PowerPC files from Debian, let me know and
I may be able to help.  But please provide the info requested above first,
and explain a bit more about what you are trying to do.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox