Novell login screen

Lam, Ming Ming.Lam "at" health.wa.gov.au
Tue Mar 9 01:20:01 2004

Teng-Fong

I think you misunderstood. Novell is a dedicated file server, which is irrelevant to this discussion.  Like all our PCs, I login from my Win2k PC to the Novell server.  I install VNC server on my PC.  When I startup my PC or wake up from screen saver mode the login screen (Novell) popup requesting my password.  My PC was setup so that on wake up I do not require ctl-alt-del.

When I use VNC viewer from another PC to connect to my PC I had no problem when my PC screen saver is not on.  As I mentioned before, the VNC viewer aborts when my VNC server is on screen saver mode.

I tried several things yesterday. I register VNC server service. I change my PC setup so that ctl-alt-del is required before login. From the VNC viewer I send ctl-alt-del from the VNC viewer. Suddenly the login screen popups and I was able to control my PC.  I then change my PC setup so that ctl-alt-del is no longer required, and found that it still works as long as I send ctl-alt-del from the VNC viewer.

I thought I had solved the puzzle, but found later in the day the same old story.  Restart both PC makes no difference.  Even more puzzling now.  Intermittent!

Ming