Syntax error when starting VNCVIEWER ???

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw "at" openminddev.net
Mon Mar 8 10:29:01 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 03:45, paolo pabliso wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is too trivial - but I cant get it!
>
> I have copied "vncviewer" to a directory on my dreambox. did chmod 755
> vncviewer and then tried to start with
> "./vncviewer".
>
> I always get the following error: <Syntax error: "(" unexpected>.
>
> I used telnet from an XP machine to the dreambox to enter the commands.
>
> Please help - I am going crazy - am I making a mistake or is there a
> problem with the Linux on the dreambox?

Well, I did not know about the existance of Dreambox before your post, but the
following is from http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7482684956.html

| According to Felix Felix Domke, Software Developer with DMM, the DM7000 runs
| a linuxppc-2.4.2x-devel kernel, with some minor patches for the Memory
| Technology Device (MTD) mapping, among other things. "Basically, an
| unpatched linuxppc-2.4-devel. I have heard that a non-devel will boot,
| including network, ide, etc."

This means that at the very least you will need to find a power-pc port of the
vncviewer (assuming one exists). Even then you may not have any luck since it
does not look like the Dreambox is anything close to a 'standard' piece of
hardware.

There is nothing wrong with 'Linux on the Dreambox' as such, but you are
making a big mistake if you think that it is the same 'Linux OS' that runs on
a x86 PC, or even a standard powerpc based Mac.  It may be (essentially) the
same Linux *kernel*, but that is really not the full OS.  (Thus the whole
Linux vs GNU/Linux debate.)

Anyway, good luck.  :-)

Rasjid.

--