cannot get to the computer behind the firewall

Tom Lemcke toml "at" gp32us.com
Wed Mar 3 04:47:01 2004

Have you set up port forwarding on your router?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom La Velle" <smilingdog "at" yahoo.com>
To: <vnc-list "at" realvnc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 9:40 PM
Subject: cannot get to the computer behind the firewall

> I am trying to connect to the server from a remote location.  I know that
I have it configured correctly because I can connect to the vnc server over
the lan.  But how do I access the computer running the server from a remote
location over the internet.  I have a dsl line with a dynamically assigned
ip address.  I have a wireless router with two computers connected to a
workgroup.  I do have a dynamic dns service running so I always have a url
that resolves to whatever my currently assigned ip address is.  Whenever i
type in the url  (http://smilingdog.hopto.org), I get a failed to connect to
server message.  If I type in my current IP address, I also get the same
message.  Any suggestions?