linux vnc vnc-3.3.7-1 VS vnc-4.0-0b4

Roddy McColl roddy "at" visual-ra.swmed.edu
Tue Mar 2 00:20:01 2004

I have a question regarding changes between
vnc-3.3.7
and
vnc-4.0 beta4.

I have configured one of my linux boxes to use the -inetd option.

I basically followed the directions in a recent Linux Mag article.

So I modifed /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf so that I have, under the vnc-3.3.7 RPM,

[xdmcp]
Enable=true

and I modified /etc/services to provide

vnc	5900/tcp

and I created /etc/xinetd.d/vnc as

service vnc{
        disable = no
        socket_type = stream
        protocol = tcp
        wait = no
        user = nobody
        server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
        server_args = :1 -inetd -query localhost -geometry 800x600 -depth 24 -once -fp unix/:7100
}

and, of course I modified my iptable to allow 5900 in,

then I restarted xinetd and, great, I can launch vncviewer sessions from all over the place,
multiple simultaneous connections, no problem.

However, after upgrading to vnc-4.0.0 (and adding the -securitytypes=none option to the service) I
found that now, only a single connection is permitted at a time.

Is there an additional argument I have to set to get this functionality back?

TIA

-roddy

Roddy McColl
UT Southwestern